A Litany by Me...
Life is like photography, you use the negatives to develop.
-Ziad K. Abdelnour
Life is like Photography,
you use the negatives to develop.
You are a camera,
you capture the good and bad qualities of life.
You are the 'click' of the button as they say "smile".
You are the laugh as someone makes a funny face.
You are not the commotion caught in a picture.
You are not the dirty smudge on the camera lens,
or the unsteady hands that shake with uncertainty.
Definitely not unsteady hands that blur the picture.
It is possible that you are the smeared light beam,
blocking the subject of the image I was trying to catch.
Maybe a fallen snowflake settling into the frame
right as I take the picture.
But you are no where near a rush a wind,
blowing millions of leaves into my shot.
With a quick eye, it is obvious that you are neither
the black and white in my first image of the day.
Nor the print of my finger on a developed picture.
You may be curious to know what I am.
Well I am simply the photographer.
I capture you in every shot I take.
I can also be the spectacle,
the spitting image of wonder,
the portrayal of sight and sound.
Furthermore, I am the waiting
and the patience for the right moment.
But do not fret, I'm not the camera that
captures the good an bad qualities of life.
You are still the camera.
You will always be the camera,
along with the 'click' of a button,
and the laughter at a funny face.
I love that you used one metaphor and expanded on it. I didn't love the format of this assignment, because I feel like lots of metaphors in one poem can be overwhelming, so I really like how you expanded on the camera idea. You had amazing images and helped me really see.
ReplyDeleteloved how you compared life and people to a camera
ReplyDeleteI loved the comparisons you used, and just how well written out this was. It works and flows so effortlessly. <3
ReplyDeleteThis comparison to a camera worked so well, and I really enjoyed this piece! I like how you expanded one single metaphor. The one thing that I would say would make it better would be to start with your third line, because I felt like reading the quote again was a little redundant.
ReplyDeleteI like how you took this prompt further, applying it to photography. You could use more abstract details, but overall it flowed really well and the photography theme really worked well.
ReplyDelete